tantalis

Russian Walk/Crouch Hop

8 posts in this topic

I was asked how to Russian hop/crouch hop as its a major part of my play style so I figured i'd make a thread for those who don't know and would like to learn. Its real simple:

in console type

bind mwheeldown +crouch
and/or
bind mwheelup +crouch

to preform the walk, you would mouse scroll then crouch via ctrl (or whatever your crouch key is on keyboard). scrolling without hitting crouch gives you the little hop  useful in giving you a little extra height in your peeks. the Russian walk is extremely helpful as it makes less sound than running while not losing speed and when done correctly it gives your opponent less audio cues to accurately predict your location. Some people find it more challenging to hit a person using this technique and both the walk and hop are useful in building your own rhythm when applied to your play style.

my personal preference is: 

bind mwheelup +crouch
bind mwheeldown +jump

i prefer having jump on mwheel  because it makes bunny hopping much easier to string together multiple jumps. If you have any questions just hmu.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made a mistake with my binds. 

the correct bind is 

bind "mwheelup" "+duck"

bind "mwheeldown" "+duck"

been probably a decade since i last had  to do binds haha

Edited by tantalis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never used mousewheel for crouch hopping...

Is there a timing you have to learn for the timing on the wheel? I feel like it would be difficult to learn the timing on a scroll button.

You can also crouch hop by learning the proper timing with your default crouch button.

• Like 2

the timing is very easy to learn and wouldn't take more than a couple minutes for any player. With my setup, I scroll up then just afterwards will press shift (my crouch key). you can do this in constant succession without ever losing speed.   

here is a decent tutorial despite being in another language. the on screen tooltip shows the timing well. ~55 second mark

Edited by tantalis
  • Thanks 1

Sincerely ever in my life- I've used that!

I find it complicated since

I am used to the same controls.

lol  would have to practice! 

I use this almost religiously. You get use to it after a while. It's extremely useful for hopping too. Especially getting the timing down without throwing everything else off.

Good thread Tan

Edited by SpooKy
  • Like 1

Wow you know about bhopping much brother :classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Kryptex said:

Wow you know about bhopping much brother :classic_biggrin:

Wow you know about English much brother 😛

Edited by iMoonXIDO